Friday, April 2, 2010

1 Nephi 1

Okay, I'm just getting into the groove here. Reading the Book of Mormon for my personal progress will be a good exercise and experience for me. Dad is enjoying this so I guess I'd better get with it.
In reading 1 Nephi 1, a few things stuck out. I always like that Nephi mentions right off that he was highly favored of the Lord. What a neat statement. He also says he had a great knowledge of the goodness and mysteries of the Lord. I think in order to have a great knowledge of the goodness of the Lord, we have to have had experiences with the Lord and part of that is faith and trust. Nephi knew that the Lord would always come through. which came first, his knowledge and trust in the Lord or the experiences that proved it true?
Dad and I have discussed what mysteries are. Here Nephi talks of the mysteries of God. Mysteries tend to be those things we don't understand. The Lord understands them and I think also people who ask may understand them. So again the challenge becomes asking. All the amazing things that Joseph Smith received was because he asked. Even Lehi and Nephi received because they asked. I think too often we forget to ask or we don't expect the Lord to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment