Sunday, April 4, 2010

1 Nephi 8

Just a couple of thoughts as I read this. I have never felt ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ. And maybe because I haven't, I can't quite understand why those people in Lehi's dream felt ashamed after partaking of the fruit. I mean, I can understand being laughed at for doing the right thing, but that has never made me feel like I shouldn't do the right thing. Maybe I'm just lucky that I get the bigger picture. I understand that there is a bigger purpose, beyond what society thinks. There is more than just satisfying appetites now. That doesn't mean it's always easy, but I get it.
My next thought, and I have actually had this one before (amazing, I know), is why did Laman and Lemuel go into the wilderness with the family when they clearly didn't want to. They could have not left in the first place. They could have stayed after getting the plates. Of course, maybe having Laban's guards after them might have been an annoyance. They could have stayed after going back the second time. And yet they didn't. They continually went back and stayed with the family. Why? They were old enough to get married; they were old enough to do what they wanted. I understand that it was they way it had to be, but that doesn't make me less curious. All the times they threatened to kill Nephi and having to be chastised by angels or Nephi himself, wouldn't it have been easier just to stay in Jerusalem?
Just my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. In answer to Cassies question about why didn't Laman and Lemuel just leave and go back to Jerusalem, we can go back to chapter 7 starting in verse 6. Laman and Lemuel and two of the daughters of Ishmael and two of the sons of Ishmael desire to go back. Nephi has to exort them to remember the prophesy of their father Lehi. Of course when someone is wrong usually they know when they are wrong. When we try to remind them that they are wrong and they know it they get angry as did Laman and Lemuel. In verse 15 Nephi tells them to go, but remember "if ye go ye will also perish". After others of the party pleaded with them they soften their hearts and stopped trying to kill Nephi. In the bottom of their hearts they knew Nephi and Lehi were right, even though they didn't like it. Are we any different? Sometimes we rebell against what we know is right because it is inconvenient and maybe not too practical. In our hearts we know what is right. We just need to commit to being totally obedient in all things. Then we can be like Nephi know the goodness of God and His mysteries. Dad

    ReplyDelete